Can Mould Become Airborne?

We know that mould growing on surfaces or items in your home is bad for your health. Sometimes you can smell the mildew before you can see the mould but you know it’s there. To add yet another dimension to mould is that the mould itself or toxins from the mould growing in your home can also become airborne.

open window

According to the Victorian Government initiative, ‘Better Health’, airborne mould is common in both indoor and outdoor environments. So what might you experience if you come into contact with airborne mould? Here is a list of symptoms to watch out for, and although other things in your environment might also be the cause, if your home has mould or you can smell mildew, the cause could be airborne mould.

woman coughing

You may experience these symptoms if exposed to airborne mould:

  • a dry cough
  • wheezing
  • exacerbation of asthma
  • itchy, sore throat
  • red, watery eyes
  • blocked or runny nose
  • sinusitis or sinus congestion
  • skin rash and allergic reactions
  • fatigue
  • headache

If you are sensitive, you could experience allergic reactions from both touching or inhaling mould. Severe reactions could include shortness of breath.

What can be done about airborne mould and toxins in your home?

Below we have listed a number of strategies for dealing with airborne mould in the home. The appropriate strategy will depend upon the seriousness of mould contamination in your home and the severity of health symptoms that you may be experiencing.

How to treat airborne mould in your home:

For more serious mould infestations:

  • Utilise an air purifier with a HEPA filter
  • Consult your local health department for further advice
  • Consult a mould remediation specialist who can assess your home

If you wish to investigate the risks of mould to your health further, click here to access our Ultimate Guide to Cleaning Mould which has a whole section on mould and health.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published